Do you know the Muffin Man?
I do. As it turns out, I married him. My husband doesn’t really have a sweet tooth, to speak of. And he doesn’t seem to hold any particular fondness for baked goods, in general (he’s more of a potato chips & munchies kinda guy.) But, as it happens, he is quite partial to muffins… particularly those involving bananas as one of the main ingredients.
In fairness, it doesn’t really come as too big a surprise. When we first moved in together, I soon noticed that nightcaps of scotch would often turn into a late-nightcap of milk & cookies. So when I decided to revisit my culinary leanings, it was truly fortunate to know that I would be safe in baking a dozen muffins without fear that I was the only one who’d eat them. Because, as everyone knows, even healthy muffins lose all piety when the entire batch is eaten by one person… not that that’s ever happened. Heh.
So the latest entry into my ever-growing Repertoire of Yum is this guilt-free recipe for a dozen Banana Bran Muffins.
1½ C All Bran original
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 C Silk light soy milk
1 C whole wheat flour
1/4 C Splenda
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. cinnamon
6 tbsp. liquid egg whites (or 3 egg whites)
2 medium mashed bananas
1/4 C unsweetened apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°C.
- Mix the All Bran together with the soy milk & lemon juice in a large bowl; let soak while mixing other ingredients (the lemon juice & soy milk will become like buttermilk and will emulsify the All Bran into a mush-like texture that will easily mix into batter.)
- In a separate bowl stir the five dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl mix egg whites, mashed banana & applesauce.
- Stir the liquid mixture into the All Bran mixture; stir the dry ingredients into this mixture; then stir until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Spoon into muffin tins (sprayed with PAM) and bake for 20 minutes.