Last weekend the bleak grey skies were starting to take a toll and, as a result, I got a hankerin’ for some tummy warmin’ comfort food. And one of my favourite comfort foods is the North American rendition of Shepherd’s Pie (the ground beef version; not the traditional lamb.)
The only problem with that is that, despite my feelings toward red meat, it refuses to return my affections. As a result, I’ve gotten quite good at finding substitutes for quite a few recipes & dishes.
I’ve also gotten quite adept at altering rather calorie-rich recipes into dishes that won’t bust out the seams on your denims quite so quickly.
So, for this dish I got creative. I didn’t have potatoes on hand, anyway, so it made the decision to swap out the carb-heavy topping for something a bit more guilt-free. Believe it or not, some steamed cauliflower & sweet potato, whipped together with some soy milk and Parmesan herb spice mix makes for a pretty fab substitute.
A lot of these ingredients are interchangeable; I just used what I happened to have on hand. This recipe makes 6 hearty servings. And, if you keep it covered, it’ll last all week in the fridge – perfect for an entire week’s worth of lunches!
160 g carrots, shredded
1 C Red Peppers, chopped
1 C Onions, chopped
227 g Fresh Mushrooms, chopped
450 g (1 package) MC Extra Lean Minced Turkey
2 C Cauliflower, frozen
½ C Sweet Potato, cubes
1 C Peas & Carrots, frozen
150 mL Irresistibles Life Smart Chicken Broth
3 Cloves of Garlic
.25 C Silk Light Plain
- Preheat oven to 375°C
- Brown ground turkey & sauté together with carrots, peppers, onion, mushrooms, peas & carrots
- Add chicken broth & minced garlic
- Simmer for 2 – 3 minutes
- Transfer mixture to casserole dish
- Steam cauliflower and sweet potato (I use those handy microwave steam bags) until cooked through
- In a large bowl, mix cauliflower, sweet potato & soy milk with a hand blender
- Spoon topping onto turkey & veggie mixture
- Sprinkle with black pepper & Clubhouse Parmesan & Herb mix
- Bake for 25 minutes