Back off winter! I’ve got spices & I’m not afraid to use ’em!
Winter finally arrived in Toronto this weekend. And, though it’s really not that bad in the grand scheme of things (remember: it’s Toronto, after all… not Northern Quebec), the buzz of the holidays being over and done with means that the days can use every extra bit of sizzle & heat that might be on offer.
What better way to add a bit of spicy warmth to your day than with a hot bowl of soup? But I’m not talking about just any old soup here (listen, I might as well come right out & admit this now and get it out of the way: yes, I do think with my belly.) I’m talking thick, rich, decadent-tasting creamy soup with an outstanding curry kick.
It’s like a hug in a bowl. Seriously. Try it out yourself. No need to send thank you cards. Cash will do. Gift cards are also nice.
Oh, and this recipe makes 4 hearty 1.75 cup servings. Why arse around with stingy portions, right? This is comfort food, after all.
Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup
300 g carrots, chopped
400 g butternut squash, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. curry powder (hot)
1 tsp. ground ginger
900 mL (1 tetra pack) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 C plain light Silk soy milk
- Add olive oil, carrots, squash, garlic, curry & ginger to pot with half of the broth (you can use veggie broth as well; I just happened to have chicken on hand)
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until the squash & carrots are soft (15 – 20 minutes)
- Quite a bit of the broth will have evaporated by the time your veggies are cooked, so go ahead and pour the rest of the container into the pot
- Remove pot from heat & puree with a hand blender (or, you can let it cool a bit and pour it into a standard blender for the same results; I just find it to be far less hassle with the hand blender)
- Add in the soy milk et voila! Serve warm & topped with cracked black pepper
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Andrea diNorcia. Andrea diNorcia said: RT @Weezie_World: Blog post: Back off winter! I’ve got spices & I’m not afraid to use ‘em! http://t.co/4VWHIW7 […]