Anniversary Rock Star Cupcakes
Two of my lovelies celebrated an anniversary of sorts this weekend – the first anniversary of their band, Arizona Lily. In honour of the occasion, a small gathering of a few friends and more than a few cocktails was held Chez Murdoch where a good time was had by all.
In addition to a couple of bottles of cheer, I decided I wanted to contribute some sugar & chocolate to the mix and came up with a pretty tasty concoction, if I do say so myself.
More than one of these pretties, however, will most likely throw you into a diabetic coma… so tread lightly, if you do decide to try out this recipe. These are neither calories-wise nor fat free. I make no apologies.
Mocha Rock Star Cupcakes with Buttery Bailey’s Coffee Icing
1 C strong black coffee (or 2 tbsp. instant coffee + 1 C warm water)
½ C (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 C granulated sugar
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
1 C all-purpose flour + 1 C whole wheat all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line standard muffin pan with baking cups (recipe makes 24)
- If you keep such a thing in your home (blargh) combine instant coffee and water; mix well and set aside.
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time; mix well.
- Add melted chocolate (there are a few ways to melt chocolate; I prefer the microwave method), vanilla and coffee mixture; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in separate bowl.
- Slowly add to butter mixture; mix well.
- Spoon into baking cups.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until center of cupcake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool cupcakes in pan on cooling rack 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool completely before icing.
3.5 C confectioners’ sugar
2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 C butter or margarine, softened
2 tbsp. strong brewed coffee
1 tbsp. Coffee Flavoured Bailey’s
In a small bowl, stir together the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder. In another bowl, beat the butter until creamy, gradually beat in the sugar mixture, being sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl, occasionally. Finally stir in the coffee, and beat until smooth.
Decorate as you please!
Girl, your desserts are look fabulous! You’ll have to give me lessons!